Sunday, September 15, 2013

On Staying Healthy in India

Because I want to use my blog as a way to merge all the important things in my life to make a compilation of me, I figure I should probably inform you all about my health while traveling around India for five weeks!
I have found through my couple lengthy international trips that my Multiple Sclerosis is the best ever while traveling. It bothers me the least--I think it has to do with the fact that I don't have to worry about the stress of all the western pressures (school, money, appointments, deadlines, emails, etc.), along with the fact that there is too much culture and excited to take in to be sick.  I am grateful I had those five weeks with hardly any MS symptoms, other than those that I face on a daily basis.  Since I have been back, my MS has not bothered me!  Fall semester always seems to be the time when I get the most sick, so I am going to work really hard to stay healthy and manage stress throughout this time.
It is also such a healthy feeling to walk everywhere like we did in India.  To get to our house on the mountain, we walked up 91 stairs, many, many times a day.  We mostly traveled on foot, which I absolutely loved!
That is the good news.
The bad news is that I faced the worst stomach sicknesses ever!
TRAVEL TIP: Bring lots of medicine to remedy all the stomach problems in the entire world.
Without getting too personal on my public blog, I can say that eating nothing but potatoes and rice for five weeks will never do good things for your digestive system.
TRAVEL TIP: Be prepared to talk about all of your unfortunate stomach and digestive problems openly and often with your roommates. It is just a fact of travel.  The benefits will always outweigh the nights of stomach cramps and desire for nothing but protein and vegetables, but you WILL run into those issues!
Now that I have been back in the United States for over a week, my body seems to have regulated and has definitely been enjoying our western food! I am looking forward to living a healthy life this semester, and making some positive changes for my health all around.  I think traveling to India helped me put my health situation into perspective, as well.  I have this body that can take me all over the world, that has been through very little hardship compared to others in the world, and that deserves to be healthy for a long, long time.  I am going to do everything in my power to keep it that way, despite Multiple Sclerosis or anything else the world has to throw at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment