Sunday, September 15, 2013

19 Magical Hours in Germany

I am finally able to say that I am getting back into the swing of my normal life, and I am ready to tell you all about India! I feel like I have so much to post.  Already, it feels somewhat like our trip to India was just a dream.  It is mind-blowing to me that the friends I met in India have already lived my today.  It feels as if it is another world.  A dream world to me.  But I have the pictures, stories, and experiences to constantly remind me that I did in fact travel to India, and had an absolutely life-changing experience there! 
Before posting my final thoughts about India, I would like to share with you the magical 19 hours we had the privilege of spending in Germany!
I was absolutely thrilled to see that we had a 19 hour overnight layover in Germany.  We knew we wanted to go out and explore the city, and that is exactly what we did.
After landing at the Frankfurt airport, struggling to figure out the train system with only German signs, and ending up at a Germany football game filled with what seemed like all the drunk Germans in the world singing their national anthem in their excited, festive stupor, we finally ended up at the main Frankfurt train station.  We were lucky to have met an Australian guy to figure out the train system with--it's fun how you can always expect to meet random, cool people while traveling.  We went our separate ways, and Quincy and I set out to find a hostel or hotel for the night.  Our immediate impression of Frankfurt was that there were an extreme number of sex shops.  Come to find out, we were staying smack dab in the center of the Frankfurt Red Light District--a safe yet...interesting place! After quite a while of wandering the very modern streets, we found a run down little hotel that actually seemed luxurious compared to what we were used to for the past 5 weeks.
After settling in at our little hotel, we set out to find some dinner.  Europe has such a cool vibe, even just wandering the streets.  Something that I can't quite point out felt distinctly European. We happened upon a cute little restaurant, where we ate a delicious, protein-filled dinner for the first time in weeks. 
Of course, dinner in Germany must include some alcohol, so we shared a delicious Jack Daniels Lynchburg Lemonade!

We were able to enjoy a nice night in what felt like the most comfortable beds in the world after sleeping on practically wood for five weeks prior.
The next morning, we woke up and did some exploring.  We were excited to find out that Römerberg was just a 10 minute walk from our hotel! Römerberg was destroyed in WWII, but it was rebuilt to look like historic Germany.  It was absolutely perfect--so quaint and sweet.  It literally was just a strip of stunning,  old-time-y buildings:

Cute buildings of Römerberg

We wandered around a little, only to find what had to be the most romantic bridge in all of Germany.  It The sun was rising over the river while street-musicians played beautiful, European music.  The air was crisp and cool and we were out before anyone else was--we had the whole morning just to ourselves!
  There were love locks along the bridge that just added to the romantic feel.
 For breakfast, we enjoyed a famous Frankfurt brat accompanied with delicious, sweet apple wine.
After that, we headed back to the airport and finished our journey home.  Our 19 hours in Germany was perfect.  I would highly recommend taking the time to go out and explore if you ever have a long layover.  Being in Germany made me even more excited to move to London in the near-ish future (more to come on those exciting plans, soon).
Auf Wiedersehen! Goodbye!

No comments:

Post a Comment