Sunday, October 20, 2013

Watch This Show

I rarely always have opinions on the latest educational books television shows. For while, I have heard that "Orange is the New Black" is "the greatest show ever."
People, this is not a lie.  It really IS the greatest show ever.  Now I know I say this very thing about almost every show on television.  Hell, for a while I claimed "Jersey Shore" was the greatest show ever.  I am ashamed and embarrassed that I ever stooped so low.  However, my television taste has significantly improved since my high school days, and I am confident in my statement that "Orange is the New Black" is where it's at.  Here's why:
  • I am a huge fan of the whole Netflix media movement. This show is only on Netflix, you can watch all the episodes, and it is just popular enough to have good conversation about it but not so popular that everybody, their mother, and grandmother all watch it (that would be Grey's Anatomy). 
  • The opening song is performed by Regina Spektor--one of my very favorites.  It's a beautiful song.  Check it out:
  • This show features women as the main characters (as it takes place at a women's correctional facility), and more shows need that.  Down with patriarchy! 
  • It is based on a true story.  Of course there are some changes for the purpose of the show, but the fact that it is based on a true story adds a whole new awesome element.  Click here to read the raddest post on how "real" this show is.
    Taylor Shilling, who plays Piper Chapman, with the real Piper Kerman
  • They are not afraid to tackle the topics that need to be addressed, but aren't:  drug abuse, suicide, LGBTQ issues, etc. all with maturity and honesty, yet still adding humor.
  • The cast.  I can't even handle the cast.  Namely Laura Prepon and Natasha Lyonne.  The whole cast is absolutely brilliant.  I love that there are so many characters and you get to know all of them.
  • The most important thing about the show is that it brings to light injustices in our criminal justice system.  It honestly addresses privileges and oppressions based on race, gender, socio-economic status, and sexual orientation.  It is extremely raw, and has important messages constantly.
I highly, HIGHLY recommend this show.  There is lots of strong language and some sexual material.  It's an honest show.  Don't watch it if you are offended by those things, but then again, how would you function in the world if you are too offended by those things? That's life!  
Have you seen this show?  Or are there any other shows that I absolutely should be watching?  My one regret with "Orange is the New Black" is that I didn't start watching it sooner, so if you have recommendations, lay 'em on me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment