Thursday, August 15, 2013

Kids will be Kids

My mornings here are spent volunteering at a day care/school for the children of Tibetan refugees. They are so cute! I feel in my element when I am working with kids-- I must just be a big kid myself.  I love kids so much because they are so pure and innocent, yet so creative and fun. They are the least judgmental tiny humans, and they are so full of potential. 
One amazing thing that I have noticed everywhere I have been is that children are all the same! In Kenya, the kids would play soccer with a rock, but they would still play soccer. Here, the little two and three year olds set up tea parties with dolls, play dress up, and run around. All kids everywhere just want to be held and cuddled and thrown in the air and loved. Kids are just universally cute!
One thing that is lovely about the culture here is that independence is encouraged. The two and three year olds in my class can put on their own shoes completely independently, use the bathroom independently, and function better than any other two or three year olds I know! It's pretty amazing. Another thing I love about the day care is the fact that sensory play and practical skills are worked on every day. Every school should be more hands on, in my opinion. The final wonderful thing about the school is the staff that work there. They are the sweetest Tibetan women. The principal is especially sweet. She is so young, and so kind. She takes a large amount of her day and spends it playing with all of the kids who absolutely adore her.
I can't wait to spend the next couple weeks at the day care--it's so much fun, and gives me the opportunity to hang out with my favorite age group of humans until I can go home and get back to the sweet kids I work with there!

No comments:

Post a Comment