Thursday, August 15, 2013

India in a Nutshell

It's been such a whirlwind of new adventure and exploration since we have arrived in India, so I apologize that I haven't updated my blog sooner. The trip has been absolutely wonderful so far. Im planning on updating my blog more often for the next couple weeks, but for now, I'm going to take you back to Delhi!
Delhi was the biggest culture shock ever. It was so hot and humid that as soon as you step out of the shower, you start sweating. Then you sweat consistently throughout the day...and night. There are people everywhere, and most of the a Indian guys are constantly trying to take pictures of you (if you are a young, white woman such as myself).  The traffic is what you see in movies, but a trillion times more thrilling . Only in India will you be moving at 60 mph directly towards a car facing you. It was a culture shock, and to be honest, not my favorite place I have ever traveled. 
That being said, in Delhi, I learned an important lesson: A smile is universal. There was a huge language barrier between cab drivers, people on the street...pretty much everyone. But a smile is universal. That was actually one of the most comforting realizations. When someone smiled at me, I felt a little less lost.
I did not truly fall in love with India until I got to Dharamsala. We took a 12 hour bus ride overnight, and it is crazy what driving 12 hours will do! Instead of the Delhi situation that I described, we are in the beautiful Himalayan mountains. It is literally the most beautiful place I have ever seen--pictures will never do it justice. It rains constantly and consistently, and there is a layer of dew/rain on everything (blankets, clothes, food, etc.).  But it is nice and cool and I love that. There are shops everywhere with the most lovely clothes, statues of Buddhas, and singing bowls. I shop every day here!
What makes me really love this place is the Tibetan people we live amongst. It is almost exclusively Tibetan refugees, and they are the kindest people I have ever met. I always joke that I will never feel as safe as I do when I'm walking in a group of Buddhist monks. But it is absolutely true. Nobody here is trying to scam us into buying things. Nobody has their cameras out constantly. The Tibetan people have been through more than I can imagine, yet they have the softest hearts. I'm not sure if it is their religion that keeps them so loving, kind, and hopeful, or it is just who they are as a people. But it is lovely here.
There's a small update for you. There is much more to come. I feel like I have grown so much here, and I am absolutely grateful for this journey

No comments:

Post a Comment